The residential building in Bow chosen by the Ministry of Defence to have missiles on the roof during the Olympics is a former match factory.
The old Bryant & May works just to the west of the River Lea is a landmark from the Lea Valley Walk, the Greenway and the Olympic Park.
Wood for the match production was brought up the river.
The site is famous for the 1888 Match Girls Strike which highlighted very dangerous working conditions. Highly toxic phosphors caused some workers to glow in the dark according to reports.
The present building dates from 1911 and produced matches until 1979.